Jeremiah Johnson Trading is one of the most experienced and trusted dealers of pre-1899 antique arms with over 40 years of collecting. We specialize in Colt, Winchester, Remington, Smith & Wesson, Parker, large-bore fowling guns, Revolutionary & Civil War arms, collectible Bowie & folding knives, & more! We are also avid collectors of historic race cars & memorabilia.
"A TREASURE OF THE AMERICAN WEST"
Arizona Sheriff James V. Parks' Personal Factory Engraved and Inscribed M1873 Colt Single Action Army .45, with Factory Letter
James V. Parks was born in Hood County, Texas, in 1867. Led by his father, Sheriff W. J. Parks, James joined the Arizona Duncan Rangers in 1885 to fight against Apache Indians. Between 1890-1906, James Parks served as Deputy Sheriff to several regions, Graham County Sheriff, and then US Deputy Marshal. During this time, James shot and killed at least 3 men, wounded several more, chased the Apache Kid and the Bill Smith Gang, and hung the infamous outlaw Augustine "The Hairy One" Chacon. This pistol was delivered to him, fully engraved from the factory with his name inscribed along the barrel, in 1908. As quoted by Chuck Smith, who is currently writing a biography on James V. Parks; "As far as I am concerned, Jim Parks' career as a lawman overshadows that of Wyatt Earp or many other legendary people of the Wild West."
CASH PAID! FOR SINGLE PIECES OR ENTIRE COLLECTIONS!
~Please view our menu at the top of this page for items currently offered for sale~ Below is a sampling of highlights acquired throughout the years which have been sold or remain part of the Jeremiah Johnson Trading personal collection
M1873 Winchester Deluxe Rifle, Factory Gold Plated
.38-40, Octagon Barrel/Full Magazine, Checkered Fancy Stock with Pistol Grip, "Solid" Rifle Buttplate, and Early Heavy Base Tang Sight, with Factory Letter
M1873 Winchester "Trapper" Saddle Ring Carbine, .44-40 WCF with 15" Barrel, Half Magazine, Full Nickel Plated with Factory Letter
M1873 Winchester "Trapper" Saddle Ring Carbine, .44-40 WCF with 15" Barrel and Rifle Butt -From the George Madis Collection
M1873 Winchester "Trapper" Saddle Ring Carbine, .44-40 WCF with 16" Barrel and Factory Letter
Extremely Rare M1848 Colt Pre-First Model "Fluck" Dragoon w/ Prototype Barrel
Very Rare Smith & Wesson No. 1 Pre-Volcanic
Lever Action Repeating Pistol
Rare Confederate 1863 C.S. Richmond Type III Musket
M1892 Winchester "Trapper" Saddle Ring Carbine, .44-40 WCF with 14" Barrel, English Proofed with Factory Letter
William Richards, Liverpool, 4 Gauge
Hammerless Sidelock Shotgun
Exceedingly Rare Factory Engraved Remington No. 1 Rolling Block Sporting Rifle
THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD
Historic Battle of Lexington & Concord Musket
Full story on the "About Us" page!
1812 Era American Assembled "Louisiana Militia Infantry" Flintlock Officer's Pistol Possibly Carried at
The Battle of New Orleans
Extraordinary Germanic Four-Barrel Flintlock Swivel Breech Coach Gun
This remarkable quad-barreled carbine dates to about 1680 and would have been the ultimate rapid fire defense against highwaymen and thieves. Once the top two shots are fired a lever releases the barrel cluster rotating them 180 degrees presenting two more freshly loaded and primes shots. Likely unique it is the only of it's kind we have ever seen - a truly impressive & ingenious piece of firearms history!
Rare Thomas Bland & Sons 4 Gauge Breechloading Shotgun
with factory letter from T. Bland & Sons. One of approx. 100 made by the company, very few of which are known to exist today. Manufactured for a "Mr. Lamberton" on July 8th, 1883 and subsequently used in Long Island's Great South Bay by Ethelbert Ide Low, a wealthy Yale graduate who belonged to the Rockaway Hunting Club & Southside Sportsman's Club. The gun remained in his family for over 100 years until it became a permanant fixture of the JJT Collection in 2012.
Extraordinary 8 Gauge Maritime Provincial Musket/Market Gun
Attributed to the W.B. Hamilton & Co. merchants out of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and the infamous War of 1812 Privateer/Merchant Captain Joseph Barss. Joseph would captain the most successful privateer ship of the war; the "Liverpool Packet", capturing over 50 American ships by the war's end. His brothers John and James, also Captains, became shareholders with several British privateers. It is likely this gun was aboard the Liverpool Packet, as it bares the marking of Isaiah & Joseph Barss, who both sailed on the ship, Joseph as Captain, and were captured together in 1813.
Erik Olsen's M. N. Serup 4 Gauge Shotgun
This gun was purchased new in the early 1870's by Danish immigrant Erik Olsen (1846-1928), and used by him to hunt Geese and Ducks in Nebraska to support his family for nearly 50 years. The gun was handed down to his daughter Teckla Olsen, a well known artist of Omaha, Nebraska, who kept the gun with her for the rest of her life until her passing in 1975. The gun was made to order by Danish gunmaker Michael Nielsen Serup, and is one of only 16 Serup guns known to exist today. It is presumed to be the only 4 Gauge he ever made. A truly unique and intriguing, documented market gun.
Teckla Olsen with her father's gun.
Erik Olsen's 4 Gauge, Circa 1955
Massive 21 1/2 lb W. H. Tisdall & Sons 4 Gauge Breechloading Market Hunter's Shotgun
The only known example by Tisdall, this gun was custom made around 1880 for a man of very large proportion. Whoever carried this gun fired it from the shoulder, and likely hunted with it on a daily basis!
Extraordinary 4 Gauge Swivel Mounted Ship's "Rail Gun" with Massive Powder Horn,
Weighing 32 lbs, with Military Conversion from Flintlock to Percussion in 1832
J. P. Moores & Sons New York Engraved M1873 Colt Single Action Army .44-40
Shipped from Colt in "Soft" Finish for Engraving, Silver Plated with Gold plated Hammer, Trigger, Cylinder Pin, and Screws, with Ivory Grips. With Factory Letter.
The Rifleman's Rifle
This M1892 Winchester Saddle Ring Carbine is just one of a handful of guns modified by gunsmith Maurice "Moe" Hunt of North Fork Productions into "The Rifleman's Rifle". Moe was a very close friend of Chuck Connors, and made at least three of these large-loop, rapid firing carbines for Chuck to use in promotional shows and appearances in the latter years of his life. A very rare and special Winchester.
The late "Moe" Hunt with Chuck Connors
The Original Rifleman
M1860 Colt Richards Second Model (aka Richards II or R2) Transition Conversion with Union Pacific Railroad guard markings ("UPRR Co's Express")
One of approximately 800 second models ever made, only a handful of which were purchased by the Union Pacific Railroad. This gun was carried by a railroad guard right in the golden age of the old west. The Union Pacific was even robbed by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's "Wild Bunch" in 1899, and again in 1900. A very rare Colt variation combined with one of the absolute rarest Express Company markings known.
Very Unusual Market Hunter's 10 Gauge Double Barrel "Goose Gun" by Mortimer, London
THE LONGEST DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN WE HAVE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF!
Smoothbore, single barrel fowlers were relatively simple to make, and as a result many examples do exist with very long barrels, sometimes over six feet in length! With double barrel shotguns on the other hand, the longer the barrels are constructed, it becomes increasingly more difficult to keep the them from twisting and the gun quickly becomes too heavy to shoulder with the added weight. The common length encountered with early doubles is in the 28"-34" range, with 36"-42" barrels being considered scarce. This gun features incredible 47" long barrels! A very impressive and unique piece.
A Market Hunter from Grand Isle, Louisiana, ca. 1870 Holding an equally long Double Barrel "Goose Gun"
Spectacular New York Engraved M1873 Colt SAA Gold & Nickel Plated with Mammoth Ivory Grips
Deluxe Engraved Remington Rolling Block Carbine
Attributed to Western Architect Joseph P. Guth
Captain Joseph Barss
Call now and schedule your appointment to visit our shop located at 1618 Saybrook Rd. Haddam, CT.
PH: 860-873-1092 / 860-345-2100
M1859 Sharps "Berdan" Sharphooter's Rifle
One of approx. 2,000 rifles special ordered by Colonel Hiram Berdan for his 1st and 2nd United States Sharpshooter Regiments during the American Civil War. The rifles differed from the standard Sharps military rifles, in that they were fitted with double "set" triggers. The majority of true Berdan rifles fall between serial numbers 54390 - 57574. This example, number 56518, has certainly seen battle, and is marked with 9 "kill" notches on the buttstock. It bares the correct inspection marks by John Taylor on the stock, and Orville W. Ainsworth on the barrel. A truly important arm that surely saw some of the most famous battles of the Civil War.
The WINCHESTER BIG .50-100-450
M1886 Winchester Rifle in .50-100-450 WCF, with octagon barrel, shotgun butt, and Lyman Express sights, mfg. 1896
Not to be confused with the .50-110 Express, these exceedingly rare rifles were offered for those who needed the ultimate big game cartridge in a lever action Winchester. The rifles differ from the .50 Express, in that the rifling has a quicker twist rate to keep the heavy 450 grain lead bullet in the air longer without dropping. Only 331 of these special rifles were produced, of which approx. 20-40 are known to exist today. Many of the .50-100-450's were sent out of country for big game use in Africa and India, and of the examples known many are in surprisingly good condition. This is probably due to the fact that their powerful recoil would lead their owners to use the guns sparingly. The example pictured here features a 26" octagon barrel, full length magazine, shotgun butt, Lyman Express rear sight and "Rocky Mountain" front sight, all of which including the caliber are listed in the Winchester Factory Letter. We are currently awaiting history on this particular gun from it's previous owner, who's family had owned the gun since new. For a .50-100-450, this gun is of particular importantance in that it did see extensive use, and was actually used right here in America on the Mexican border! A truly special and impressive Winchester! Though well used, it's owner made sure to take excellent care of his rifle's bore.
Exceedingly Rare Factory Inscribed American Express Co.
M1887 Winchester Riot Gun with Saddle Ring
This 12 Gauge Winchester shotgun was special ordered by American Express with a 20" barrel, sling and bar (saddle ring), and inscribed "Am. Ex. Co. 85". According to Jessica Bennett, firearms records specialist to the Buffalo Bill Center of The West, it is one of aproximately 83 recorded in the Winchester factory ledgers. A true wild west "coach gun" and a prize among Winchester collecting.
"The other" Osa Johnson Mauser Type A Sporting Rifle
Osa Johnson, 1894-1953, was a very influential adventurer who took part in many big game safaris with her husband Martin Johnson and documented their expolits through both film and book. The life they lived and documented together was the epitome of classic big game safari hunting in the 20th century. In recent years, one of the only existing rifles attributed to Osa surfaced, an Oberndorf Mauser Type A factory Sporting Rifle in caliber 9.3x62mm, serial number 105930, manufactured ca. 1930/31. This rifle is consecutive serial number 105929, and it's previous owner did infact hunt with the Johnsons. The gun is a 9.3x62mm Oberndorf Type A sporter, and is absolutely 100% identical in every regard and condition to the aforementioned "Osa Johnson" rifle. It was sold through the firm of Charles A. Heyer & Co. Nairobi, British East Africa, presumably at the same time as Osa's #105930 rifle. The fact that both rifles are identical in every way, including the rubber buttpad fitting for a lady, and consecutively serial numbered to the same African firm, it is highly likely that this too was one of Osa's safari rifles. The Type A factory Sporting Rifles are regarded as being the finest and most sought after Mauser rifles, and at the time were made specifically for the English market and use on dangerous game in Africa and India.
Market Hunter's 8 Gauge Flintlock Bank Gun
Measuring 7 1/2 feet long and weighing 20 lbs, this gun was constructed in the late 1700's and used along the eastern shore. The market hunter would rest this gun on a bank or sea bed and fire into flocks of birds as the tide brought them in. They quickly became unpopular however, as they proved too large to shoulder fire on a regular basis but not big enough to be used as the primary punt gun. It is exceedingly rare today to find an original example of a bank gun with it's original long length barrel, as this gun has.
Teckla loaned the 4 Gauge to a local museum at one time, and provided this documentation about her father's life and history with the gun
Identified Guns of The Civil War
NORTH and SOUTH
"Three amazing guns that provide us with a rare chance to learn who used them and where they fought."
M1860 Spencer Repeating Rifle, Identified to Prvt. Rathburn Valentine Goodrich
118th New York Vol. Infantry, Co. K
This M1860 Spencer Repeating Rifle is identified by two plaques, one fixed to each side of the buttstock, as belonging to Rathburn Valentine Goodrich of Keeseville, New York. Goodrich enlisted in Co. K of the 118th New York Vol. Infantry, the "Adirondack Regiment", which in late 1864 became the first Federal infantry unit to be armed with the formidable Spencer Repeating Rifle. This is his issued gun that he carried throughout the remainder of the war. The 118th fought in the Battles of Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and Fair Oaks among others, and was the first regiment to march into the captured Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia in 1865. This gun was there. It has been said that the colors of the 118th flew higher than any other regiment in the Civil War. With the average height of a Civil War soldier being 5'7", only men being 6' or taller were selected for the regiment's color guard. Sgt. Joseph Hastings, standing 6'6" tall, carried the American flag. The flag was never captured.
M1853 Enfield Rifled Musket, Confederate Issue, Identified to E. Craig
1st Mississippi Infantry Co. A "Natchez Light Infantry" CSA
An amazing example of a true Confederate musket that saw use throughout the entire war, in the hands of two Confederate soldiers. The musket is one of the earliest Enfields smuggled into southern ports by Confederate blockade runners. This is evidenced by the blockade numbers (40) engraved on top of the buttplate. The musket has been field altered, by having it's Enfield lock replaced with Harper's Ferry M1842 US musket lock. A brass patchbox from a M1841 US "Mississippi Rifle" was also fitted into the buttstock. The patchbox is engraved; "E. CRAIG / NATCHEZ". Records show a "E. Craig" having served in Co. A of the 1st Mississippi Infantry. Company A was raised in Adams County with most members being from Natchez, giving rise to the company's name "Natchez Light Infantry". The unit was raised early in the war as a State Militia regiment, and spent much time in Kentucky and Louisiana. At some point ownership of the gun changed to a "G. Riggs", who scratched his name onto the inside of the patchbox.
A HERO'S GUN
L.A.P.D. Detective Sergeant J. W. Milton's Colt Official Police Revolver
Detective Sergeant J. W. "Tommy" Milton had served 21 years with the Los Angeles Police Department when he and Detective R. S. Ingham were called in for backup on the night of May 16th, 1949. Charles S. Thompson had fired a shot into the ceiling of his bedroom earlier, and neighbors notified the police. By the time Milton and Ingham arrived on the scene, Thompson emerged from his house brandishing a .32 cal automatic pistol. Milton grabbed Thompson from behind attempting to disarm him. Thompson spun and fired twice, one bullet striking Milton. Milton produced this Colt revolver from his holster and fired once into Thompson's head, killing him instantly. Detective Milton was taken to Van Nuys Receiving Hospital where he passed away that evening. Milton's revolver is a standard issue .38 Special manufactured in 1935. It was fitted with FM Inc. 10 Point Target grips and Milton had his name engraved onto the right side of the frame. This gun serves as a reminder of the danger police and rescue officials face every day, and honors one who fell victim in spring 1949.
Explorer & Hunter Frederick Courteney Selous
with his 4 Bore Elephant Gun
These massive 8 bore & 4 bore "elephant guns" are typical of the style used by the great African hunters during the mid to late 19th century. The locks and barrels were made in England and imported to South Africa where they were stocked by Dutch setllers. At the time the 4 bore was considered the most powerful rifle in the world. Smooth bores were popular among elephant hunters because they could be reloaded quickly, which may be of great necessity when battling a potentially dangerous pachyderm. Since they would be within close range of the elephant, the accuracy of a rifled bore was not a priority. Famous explorers and hunters Frederick Selous and Sir Samuel Baker both used massive smooth bores similar to this. Born December 18th, 1853 in Illinois, Bob Crow moved to the Black Hills in 1881 and began working as a sub editor on the Deadwood Times. He worked with several other local papers for nearly the next 20 years before taking charge of the Lead Daily Call (aka Deadwood Pioneer Times) in 1901. Later in life, he continued as an editor, and also worked as a lawyer and probate judge. He passed away June 16th, 1940 in Spokane, Washington.
Deadwood Newspaper Editor & Publisher Isaac Robert "Bob" Crow's M1873 Colt Single Action Army, .44-40
Trophy African Elephant Of
George Rowbottom & Bill Ruger
This African Elephant was legally hunted in 1958 by George Rowbottom, accompanied by Bill Ruger. This was Bill's first safari to Africa, and would inspire him to return and hunt many times throughout the rest of his life. The larger tusk measures 73" along the outer curve and weighs 60 lbs, while the other tusk measures 57" and weighs 45 lbs. The smaller tusk has some interesting battle damage on the tip from a fight the Elephant was in years before the '58 safari. They are mounted in solid Silver bands with Silver chains for hanging. The two front feet were made into end tables, while the two rear feet were made into Mahogany lined box/foot stools with Lion skin tops. One ear was also preserved. All of the taxidermy work was performed by the famed Jonas Bros. of New York.
M1877 Colt Lightning 6" Sheriff's Model
Nickel Plated, one of approx. 60 Produced
Oklahoma Sheriff Lew Wilder's M1873 Colt Single Action Army .45
Nickel Plated with Gold Plated Cylinder, Hammer, and Trigger, with Carved Steerhead Pearl Grips
Sheriff Lew Wilder
Born in Morgan, Texas on August 8th, 1874, Lew Wilder spent his younger years as a cowboy and rancher in Texas and Oklahoma. In 1914, he was elected Sheriff of Creek County, Oklahoma. On October 12th, 1916, Wilder was shot four times by armed robber Alva Taylor during an attempted jailbreak. Wilder returned fire, shooting Taylor in the heart, fatally wounding him. The gunfight was compared to that of the O.K. Corral in newspapers of the day. Wilder recovered from his wounds, and served a second term as Sheriff until 1918, at which time he began working as a special agent for the Sinclair, Prairie, and Texas oil companies for the following 16 years. Wilder retured to politics however, and was re-elected for three more terms as Creek County Sheriff before being killed in an automobile accident on January 26th, 1942. According to legend, this gun was presented to Wilder in recognition for his efforts in the 1916 jailbreak. Nevertheless, he carried it from that point on through the remaining years of his life and services as Sheriff. The gun remained in the family after Lew's death, and was ultimately handed down to grandson Ronald Lew Wilder. It was sold from the Wilder family in 2011. A truly important piece of western history.
M1873 Otis Smith Pocket Revolver, Gold Washed with Rare L. D. Nimschke Engraving
& Unique "Morgan Dollar" Lady Liberty Panel Portrait
Attributed M1895 Winchester .405 Rifle
It is well known that Theodore Roosevelt favored the .405 Winchester, and owned several throughout his life. He brought at least three with him on safari to Africa in 1909, and shot everything from Rhinoceros to Elephant. This particular example mas manufactured in 1904, the first year that the .405 caliber became available. The rifle was previously owned by Canadian resident George Cooper, who inherited the rifle from his grandfather Charles Hineman at the time of his passing in 1955. Hineman worked as a commercial hunter, and was at times accompanied by Alexander Lambert, close friend and personal physician to Theodore Roosevelt. At this time, Lambert was president of the Tourilli Club, a private game preserve located Northwest of Quebec, and carried with him this rifle which had been given to him by Roosevelt. Lambert ultimately traded the rifle to Hineman, who cherished it the rest of his life. A truly important piece of national firearms history.
Federal Prohibition Agent James E. "Pistol Pete" Bowdoin's 10 Gauge Double Barrel Shotguns
A fantastic pair of guns belonging to one of the more colorful law enforcement officers of the prohibition era who was shot and killed in 1925 while conducting a moonshining investigation. It is likely that he was carrying one of these shotguns when the incident occurred. Interestingly, both guns are Wells Fargo & Co. marked from guard use prior to Bowdoin's ownership.
Important Gustave Young Engraved "Apprentice Workshop Model" M1849 Colt Pocket Pistol
M1873 Winchester "Trapper" Saddle Ring Carbine, .44-40 WCF with 16" Barrel, Factory Letter, & Rare Shelton-Payne Arms Co. El Paso Texas Scabbard
The Medium Frame Lightning rifle was produced between 1884-1902, with nearly 90,000 manufactured. Of those, only 40 were factory engraved and 20 factory inscribed or monogrammed. This particular rifle being factory engraved AND inscribed as a presentation makes it a truly one of a kind example. William Scott Dunham was born in 1865 and lived in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania. He enlisted with the 15th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Co. G, at the outbreak of the Spanish American War in 1898 and quickly rose to the rank of sergeant. Being noted for his fine marksmanship, he was also utilized as a sharpshooter. After the war, Dunham joined the Pennsylvania National Guard. The N.G.P. held an annual rifle match at the state range every year, and this rifle was special ordered by Lt. Colonel. W. F. Richardson as the intended first place prize for the 1901 shoot. William Dunham won the shoot, and was the fortunate winner of this stunning rifle. Dunham went on to patent a marksman's shooting arm rest in 1905, of which the patent still stands (US Patent 784390).
Extremely Rare Confederate 1863 Fayetteville Armory Type III Musket
BENTLEY & PLAYFAIR
Elephant Ivory-Once a popular and profitable trade
RAREST OF THE RARE!
M1873 Winchester 14" Short Rifles
Three of five currently known and documented '73 rifles with factory fitted 14" barels. Rifles and carbines could be ordered with any length barrel desired, though deviations from standard are quite rare. Most who preffered a handier version of the rifle opted for a special order 20" barrel, while those who needed an even shorter length typically ordered carbines with 14"-18" barrels ("Trappers"). These 14" octagon barrel RIFLES are among the greatest oddities and rarities of Winchester collecting. All feature factory letters and BATF clearance papers.
Majors, Russell & Co. "Pony Express" Shotgun
Majors, Russell & Co. (later Russell, Majors, & Waddell) was a freighting and staging firm that existed between 1854-1862. Originally contracted to supply military posts in the west, they later operated various stagecoach lines, communications services, and express mail transportation. They were the company who in 1860 founded the famous Pony Express which lasted for only 19 months. In 1862 the remains of the company were bought by "Stagecoach King" Ben Holladay. There is only one other "Majors, Russell & Co." marked shotgun currently known to exist which was part of the William R. Orbelo collection sold by Little John's Auction Service in 2010.
Extremely Rare Henry Beckwith London 4 Bore Double Rifle
Built in London during the mid 1860's, this massive rifle represents the epitome of a quality Victorian "Elephant Gun". It is a smoothbore featuring 20" barrels with front & rear sights and fires two quarter pound lead balls. There is no provision for a ramrod as the loading essentials would have been carried separately. The intent for such a gun was to be prepared and carried by a gun bearer who would hand the rifle off to the hunter when it was needed. This particular gun spent it's life at a mission in India during the British Raj. It was kept on hand to dispatch rogue Elephants and provide meat for the members of the mission. It was brought to the US aftre WWI and remained within the same family until joining the JJT Collection in 2016. Double barrel 4 bore elephant guns from the pre-breechloading era such as this are the rarest of all dangerous game rifles.
58 SKINNER STREET SNOW HILL
Outstanding & Historic "One of One Thousand" Inscribed Factory Engraved Gold & Nickel Plated M1873 Winchester Deluxe Rifle, .44-40 with Factory Letter
This stunning Winchester was discovered in Mexico by Tom Haas who noted it as an authentic 1 of 1,000. It features $10 worth of engraving (a staggering amount at the time), a gold plated frame, butt, & forend tip, nickel plated barrel, magazine, hammer, lever, trigger, loading gate, & sights, with a checkered 4X Deluxe pistol grip stock, all documented through the factory Winchester ledgers. The barrel is inscribed "One of One Thousand", which although not verified by Winchester is correctly engraved and documented as being on the gun when discovered in 1950. The panel scene on the left side of the receiver depicts a standing deer while the right side shows a classic American Bison. One of the most impressive and rare Winchester rifles we have ever offered.
Exceptionally Rare M1873 Colt Single Action Army 4" Sheriff's Model, .45, Nickel Plated
Frontier Used M1873 Colt Single Action Army
.44 Rimfire, Nickel Plated
Gustave Young Engraved M1851 Colt Navy with Surplus London Straps & Ivory Grips
High Condition Factory Engraved New Haven Arms Volcanic Pocket Pistol
Rare High Condition M1886 Bullard Large Frame Deluxe Rifle, .45-70
William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody's Wells Fargo Issued M1851 Colt Navy
This is the pistol which Buffalo Bill carried while riding for the famed Pony Express in 1860 at the age of 14. From the world renowned Parker Lyon/Harrah collection. Parker Lyon acquired his antiquities throughout the early part of the 20th century and officially opened his Pony Express Museum in 1935. Lyon personally knew Buffalo Bill as early as 1900, and according to Lyon's obituary in the Los Angeles Times December 16th, 1949; "Goggle-eyed Midwesterners clustered in awe about the expounding owner, heard of fortunes in gold recovered from the bellies of ancient fire engines from the Mother Lode; of Buffalo Bill personally attesting to the authenticity of dozens of rifles and pistols in the gun collection..." The collection was purchased by Bill Harrah in 1955 and continued to be on display until his death in 1978. The collection was broken up and sold through various sources during the 1970's and 80's. In the later years of his life Buffalo Bill did more perhaps than anyone before or since to promote and preserve the history of the Pony Express, and while some historians may dispute the exact details of his service, Bill's association with the Pony Express has become an iconic symbol of old west folklore.
Rare & Important War of 1812 M1798 US Contract Flintlock Military Musket Identified to the 27th Maryland Militia, Defenders of Baltimore
The 27th Maryland Militia was assigned to the city of Baltimore in 1792. During the War of 1812, the 27th regiment, along with the 5th, 6th, 39th, and 51st, made up the 3rd Maryland Militia Brigade of the 3rd Division under Major General Samuel Smith, also known as the "City Brigade" as all of the 3rd Brigade's regiments were assigned to Baltimore City. It was this brigade, and the 27th regiment in particular, that would defend Baltimore during the Battle of North Point and the following attack on Fort McHenry. As noted by Thomas Beacham, a private in the 27th, it was a musket from their regiment that opened the Battle of North Point on September 12th, 1814. As the line of American militia began to break during the battle, the 27th and 5th regiments held their ground until they were forced to retreat, which they did in good order. The bombardment of Fort McHenry followed the day, ending by the morning of September 14th. At the sight of Fort McHenry's massive garrison flag still flying in the early hours of September 14th, Francis Scott Key wrote what would become our national anthem; The Star Spangled Banner.
Historically Significant 1861 Civil War Presentation Inscribed M1849 Colt Percussion Pocket Pistol of Daniel Austin Waters, 7th Massachusetts Light Artillery (Richardson's Light Infantry)
Daniel Austin Waters was born in 1840 and resided in Lowell, Massachusetts. At the outbreak of the Civil War on April 12th, 1861, Waters was working as a clerk for Burbank Chase & Co., a clothing store in Lowell. Almost immediately an independent infantry company was organized in Lowell called "Richardson's Light Infantry". Waters enlisted with the unit as a private on May 21st, 1861. Apparently Daniel Waters was well favored by his female co-workers as the ladies of Burbank Chase & Co. pitched in together and purchased him a brand new 1849 Colt revolver which was presented to him as a going away gift. The backstrap is inscribed "RLI (Richardson's Light Infantry) D. Austin Waters Presented by the Ladies at Burbank. Chase & Co's.". Additionally the butt was inscribed with the patriotic slogan "Remember April 12th 1861" which is of course the day Fort Sumter was fired upon beginning the American Civil War. Richardson's Light Infantry left for Virginia on May 22nd and was stationed as infantry garrison to Fort Monroe until December 25th when they were detached to light artillery duty. On March 17th 1862 the unit was redesignated as the 7th Massachusetts Light Artillery. From his vantage point at Fort Monroe, Waters witnessed the historic clash between the ironclads Monitor and Merrimac during the Battle of Hampton Roads with this pistol right by his side. His obituary in 1916 read: "Before his death Mr. Waters prided himself on being one of the few living witnesses of the famous battle between Monitor and the Merrimac. He witnessed the encounter from Fort Monroe, where he was stationed as a member of Richardson's Light Infantry, an organization of schoolboys which later became part of an other regiment which served through the war". The 7th Massachusetts later served at Yorktown and Suffolk, and participated in numerous battles and skirmishes including action at Franklin, Virginia. The 7th briefly returned north to aid in the infamous New York City draft riots of 1863 before returning to the war and participating in very active service around Washington DC and New Orleans. This regiment spent the last year of the war on the move! There is much information available online which explains in detail all the engagements the 7th participated in and it is extensive. Daniel Waters was mustered out of service on May 20th, 1864 in Washington DC and returned home to Lowell. In the later years of his life he moved to Ohio where he passed away on May 31st, 1916.
M1862 Colt Pocket Police Conversion Owned by Nat Love aka "Deadwood Dick"
The Most Famous Black Cowboy & Folk Hero of The Wild West
The David Kirkwood
4 Gauge Shotgun
This massive shotgun was built in 1884 by famed American gun maker David Kirkwood of Boston. Of the approximately 400 guns made by David while he worked under his own name this is currently the only known 4 Gauge to exist. Unlike most guns of this type which featured a Jones underlever, the Kirkwood No. 4 sports a unique top lever design. The gun also features his Nov. 27 1883 Patent "Adjustable Barrel Lug", and is one of just a few known Kirkwood guns to bare any patent markings. A truly rare and important American shotgun and one of the most prized weapons in the JJT Collection. Nat Love (pronounced "Nate" Love) was born a slave in Tennessee in 1854. Love learned to read and write at an early age and in the years following the end of the Civil War he was already noted for his expert riding and horse breaking abilities. In 1870 he headed west to Dodge City, Kansas, where he joined up with a group of cattle drivers from Texas who he would spend the next two years working for. Love quickly became a formidable cowboy and marksman. In 1872 he moved to Arizona and took up work at the Gallinger Ranch. In 1876 Love drove a heard of cattle through Deadwood, Dakota Territory, and entered the 4th of July rodeo where he stunned the crowd by winning no less than six riding and roping contests. Love was declared the "champion roper of the western cattle country", a title which he proudly held throughout the rest of his years as a cowboy. It was at this rodeo Love earned the nickname "Deadwood Dick", a name which was later regarded in his autobiography as "a name I was proud to carry and defend, if necessary, with my life." Love went on to take part in scores of adventures throughout the late 1870's and 1880's including capture by Indians, gun fights, and even encounters with Bat Masterson, Billy The Kid, and Pat Garrett. Nat Love left the cowboy life behind in 1890 after marrying the previous year and took up a job as a Pullman Porter for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. Love published his autobiography, "Life and Adventures of Nat Love, Better Known in the Cattle Country as 'Deadwood Dick,' by Himself", in 1907. After moving to southern California, Love spent the last years of his life working as a security guard before passing away in 1921. Today Nat Love's image, dressed in full cowboy attire, has become synonymous with American western history and is universally regarded as the most famous black cowboy of the wild west.
RAREST OF THE RARE
8 GAUGE SHOTGUNS
W.W.GREENER ~ PARKER BROS.
This W.W. Greener FHT45 hammerless shotgun (top) was ordered through Greener's New York office as 8 Gauge with 32" nitro proofed steel barrels, automatic ejectors, and engraving by famed artisan Harry Tomlinson. It is one of just five known to Graham Greener of equivalent or better grade in 8 Gauge. The Parker Bros. (below) was originally the only of it's kind produced as an 8 Gauge Quality F hammer gun with 38" barrels and a straight grip. Factory records detail it's ownership by Nantucket market hunters E. G. Elliott & Frank Meiggs as well as numerous returns to Parker for repair including restock to pistol grip - twice! An incredibly rare and well documented Parker.
HISTORIC & IMPORTANT
Factory Engraved & Inscribed Presentation
M1884 Colt Lightning Deluxe
Medium Frame Slide Action Rifle
with Factory Letter